Invest in what Matters
Austin is one of the most economically segregated cities in the US . Austin is also one of the most economically prosperous cities in the country, with a consistently high GDP growth rate and low unemployment , it’s a true a microcosm of Texas, which is home to the highest number of Fortune 500 companies in the nation. We believe that this presents a unique opportunity to explore mutually beneficial projects between local communities and the corporations that exist within them to create an economic roadmap that improves quality of life for everyone here.
"Our hope is that we can collaborate on restorative efforts funded by reallocating $1 billion from UT's endowment fund (just 5% of the fund) into the communities that it has negatively impacted for decades.
A More Equitable Austin
What we are proposing may be a bit novel for Austin, but it’s not impossible. The simplified plan for this initiative is as follows:
- Create a shortlist of corporations that are Austin-founded or have a large Austin presence
- Create a shortlist of business objectives for each of these corporations
- Find areas that overlap with the City of Austin’s Strategic Direction for 2023 
- Determine which areas of overlap to focus on to create actionable innovative projects
- Execute projects
Of course, there are many additional considerations and unknown details at this point, but none that we believe should inhibit us from starting on this important work. Austin Justice Coalition has always pushed this community to reach its full potential, and this effort is no different. Please download the full outline below for additional information and join us as we build our city’s future.
When & Where
Our City's Future
Austin Justice Coalition is aiming to launch a small proof of concept for the city of Austin by Fall 2023. Please stay engaged for additional details on the timeline.
- https://www.statesman.com/story/news/2018/06/01/politifact-austin-among-most-economically-segregated-cities /10017965007